sábado, 1 de septiembre de 2018

Why do I like Old School style?

This is a translation of a post originally published in 2012.

Hey, this won't take long. I woke up early for just one hour of class and I also have other things to do so today I will talk about the things I like.

Again I LIKE. Here I am going to talk about why I like the Old School game style. I don't mean to say thst it is better or worse in absolute terms. I am just giving my subjective view towards them, so I don't try to start a discussion. Unless you want to tell me why do you like it or why not, which is always well received.


After some long pondering (15 minutes?) I think I can determine the three reasons why I like the Old School style. Here you go.

a) I like picaresque. A character --usually without any quality that elevates him (too much) over other mortals-- faces a strange and probably hostile world solving problems adventure after adventure.

Yes, I like this style better than an epic where it is more important who the character is and how the wlrld changes them. As I said, I am more interested in characters defined by how the take on the world and change it--although this invariably gets reflected on themselves.

No one should find this strange after I wrote Ablaneda, I think.

b) I like easy and simple systems. It may seem synonymous, but, as I see it, a system can be simple or complex and, at the same time, easy or difficult. Simple games are smaller and quicker than complex games and choosin one or another is a matter of taste. But easy games are objectively better than difficult games.

Now let me explain: an easy and simple system is not one that lacks stuff (that would be difficult and simple), it is rather a compact system. It gives you general principles more than rules and you have to apply them according to your good judgement. And I like that for two subreasons.

b.1) It allows for the system to be regarded as a whole at any time and to make sure that you are not forgetting anything. I am lazy in the same proportion that a nitpicker. I am however that kind of lazy guy that works to make his life easier: when I face a new system I make a simple summary of what's essential to play. Not so long ago I took a random table that was cool but too complicated and progrmmed a small generator for it. It might have taken me more time that the time I would have devoted to roll anay result of that table myself in my whole life, but now, if I need it, it's much easier.

b.2) The game assumes I am creative and not crazy. Old games usually could take that luxury because their audience was mostly veteran wargame players. As that audience changed, games changed with it. I won't discuss if that change was for good or ill, but I am sure that someone will try in the comments.

c) Because I like fantasy. They say that Spanish character tends towards realism, and it may be true, because what I like is dark and crude fantasy... But fantasy in the end.

I like to dream imaginary world where things work differently. The perfect mould for hyperactive imagination? Because it is what I saw on TV when I was a child? Because I am crazy? I don't know. But I kbow kne thing: I like fantasy (medieval or not) because you can put in whatever you want and it will stay cool, try it!

bonus reason) I don't like it out ofostalgia.
That is clear to me. I was born in 1992 and soon it will be four years that I know what the heck are tabletop RPGs. Also, most of what I knew about Old School play comes from my own reading and investigation.

Thanks for reading. Valmar Cerenor!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Una limosna para la cruzada:

Entradas relacionadas...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...